Go hiking in the Douro Valley and sample the local Port wine. Enjoy breathtaking scenery and an exquisite wine tasting.
- 23-September-2020 to 29-September-2020
- 07-October-2020 to 13-October-2020
- 21-October-2020 to 27-October-2020
- 19-May-2021 to 25-May-2021
- 26-May-2021 to 01-June-2021
- 09-June-2021 to 15-June-2021
- 30-June-2021 to 06-July-2021
- 14-July-2021 to 20-July-2021
- 22-September-2021 to 28-September-2021
- 20-October-2021 to 26-October-2021
- Other departure dates on request
- Twin Room Price includes 2 people (2 single beds)
- €1399 €1259,10
- Single Rooms Price per person (1 person per room)
- €1699 €1529,10
Hiking in Portugal – Walk through the quiet countryside
The valley of the Rio Douro (‘river of gold’) is astonishing in its tranquillity – and its vibrant colors. Fertile hills neatly lined with green vines and old olive trees are reflected in the mirror-like waters.
And the region’s tiny, untouched villages of granite houses with red roofs. It is here, at the Quintas (wineries) dotted across the slopes, that Port wine is produced.
There are so many hidden and undiscovered treasures all over Portugal waiting for you to discover them. Portugal’s varied landscapes provide unrivaled opportunities for memorable walking holidays.
Join this walking tour in Portugal. Discover the world’s first demarcated wine region – the Douro Valley, and the Portuguese historical villages in Northward Portugal.
Slow Travel is a state of mind! Be with the people you love, connect with nature, feel free in Portugal, and help us to preserve our culture!
Why you’ll love this trip
- Find the essence of Portugal on your hiking adventure.
- Explore unique places in Portugal. We will look up to boardwalks alongside sandy beaches, Roman road, wooden walkways in green mountains, crystal-clear lagoons, native flora, and fauna.
- Admire the Unesco World Heritage Site of Porto. You will experience all that this fascinating and vibrant city has to offer.
- Enjoy a hands-on cooking class in Braga exclusive for our group with a local chef.
- Follow your local guide during the trail in the Douro Valley. It is located in Northern Portugal. The Douro is a Unesco World Heritage site, and the first wine region to have a formal demarcation in the world in 1756.
- Discover Sistelo. Accord to Forbes, Sistelo is in the list of the 18 first Secret Destinations in Europe.
- Indulge with your eco-friendly gifts: a refillable water bottle and one hat per person.
Do you want Private Guided Hiking in Portugal?
Please contact us. We organize a private hiking tour in Portugal with a minimum of 2 travelers. Attention: we don’t increase the price if you ask for our shore excursion exclusive for your group. We need to check our availability.
Do you have more one night in Portugal?
Book an extra night in Braga and “Coimbra & Aveiro – Full-day” (Post-tour extension). Explore the University of Coimbra (Guided Tour), Coimbra Historical Center, Aveiro – The “Venice” of Portugal, and much more.
Is this trip right for you?
- Level: Easy. This tour was built to adapt to a group with different walking experiences.
- The journey is suitable for children from 9 years old. Perfect for friends trip or family vacation.
- Trip Type: Guided.
- Small-Group Walking Holiday in Portugal. Maximum of 6 travelers.
- Meeting Point: At Oporto Airport – Portugal. Our driver will be waiting for you at the airport arrivals with a sign displaying your name.
- End Point: Oporto Airport.
- Confirmation in 48 hours. The booking will be confirmed with you as soon as we get the final approval from hotel availability. We will send you a full confirmation and further information about the package by email shortly. You will only be charged once your space is confirmed.
- Payment: You choose full payment or installment.
- Flexible Booking: You can cancel your Walking Holiday in Portugal or rebook up to 13 days before the arrival date. We will refund the deposit.
Guarantee your place on this Walking Tours in Portugal by reserving your space now.
- Private transfer from Oporto Airport to a hotel in Braga
- Private transfer from hotel in Braga to Oporto Airport
- Six nights in a twin room or single room (4 stars hotel)
- Breakfast is included every morning in all multi-day tour packages
- 1 lunch in Porto
- Castle of Guimarães: the ticket is included
- Port wine tasting (standard 2 great wines)
- Douro River cruise (1h approx.)
- 1 lunch in the Douro Valley
- Hiking in the Douro Valley
- Hiking in Sistelo
- Walking Tour in Póvoa De Varzim (boardwalks alongside sandy beaches)
- 1 Hands-on cooking class (lunch – Portuguese Cuisine)
- Eco-friendly gifts: a refillable water bottle and one hat per person
- City tour in Porto, Braga, and Guimaraes
- Private transfers during the tour
- 6 nights lodging in a 4-star Braga hotel (Hotel Mercure Braga or similar).
This 4-star hotel was refurbished in 2013 and included a fitness center and an outdoor swimming pool. It is 15 minutes from the Cathedral and the shopping area.
All air-conditioned rooms have a flat-screen cable TV and free Wi-Fi. On the first floor, there is a restaurant which serves regional and traditional dishes together with an extensive wine list. Guests can also enjoy a drink at the rooftop bar with panoramic views of the Bom Jesus.
The booking will be confirmed with you as soon as we get final confirmation from hotel availability.
- 6 nights lodging in a 4-star Braga hotel (Hotel Mercure Braga or similar).
- Travel insurance
- Drinks and meals not specified
- Entrances other than mentioned
- Tourist tax
- Telephone and personal expenses
Arrive at any time. An arrival transfer is included from the airport to the hotel. There are no activities planned for this day. Lunch and dinner are not included— overnight in Braga.
Meeting point at the hotel lobby – 09h00 am. The tour starts with a pleasant walking tour at the UNESCO World Heritage Historical Center, where you can admire magnificent monuments and sites — starting by the impressive settlement of over 20,000 blue tiles in São Bento Train Station.
Then, proceeding to the 12th century Porto’s Cathedral. Where we’ll get to know even more about the city history and the history of Portugal; after that, we’ll be venturing down the alleys of the medieval district. To the commercial street “Rua das Flores,” filled with flowers, live street artists, and art-craft. We are passing before the astonishing City Hall, up to the Clérigos Tower and its beautiful, noble quarter.
Being the most animated location in town, it’s where we will have lunch at a restaurant with local gastronomy.
In the afternoon, discover the modern district of the city, such as Boavista and its magnificent “Casa da Música.” A stylish and architectural city landmark. It is proceeding to meet the river and crossing the riverside of the Douro River to Vila Nova de Gaia. Here you will be presented with a guided visit in a traditional Wine Cellar “Cave” and taste. This rich, sophisticated, and worldwide renowned fortified wine – the Port Wine (Standard 2 great wines).
We are still having the flavor of this nectar on our tongues. It’s time to enjoy the 6 Bridges Boat Cruise on the River Douro (duration: 1 hour). Aboard a traditional “Rabelo” boat, experience the panoramic views of the surrounding hills. At the red-tiled rooftops of the medieval houses, as well as the famous bridges of the city.
Dinner is not included — overnight in Braga.
Walking Tour in the Douro Valley
Meeting point at the hotel lobby – 09h00 am. Our challenge for the day is to discover some of the most beautiful treasures the Douro has to offer. After a journey of about one and a half-hour. The day starts at Pinhão, with an excellent view over the Douro River (Portugal Hiking Trails).
A tranquil walking tour will be around the vineyards of the Quinta. That is a leisurely walking tour, which affords glorious views of the river. The Douro Valley demarcated wine region is one of the most scenically impressive in the world! As evidenced by its status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. From this unique terroir come the grapes used to make Portugal’s famous Port wine as well as exquisite table wines.
Gift: refillable water bottle and one hat per person.
After lunch, it is time to visit the famous train station in the region. To finish the day, we will visit a wine estate and taste the famous Port wine (Standard 2 great wines).
Difficulty: Easy. Distance: 5km – 3.10 miles. Duration: 1 day. Dinner is not included — overnight in Braga.
Braga – Guimarães
Meeting point at the hotel lobby – 09h00 am. After breakfast, we have a small briefing about Bom Jesus do Monte Shrine. Ascent will be made on the elevator; this is the first funicular of the Iberian Peninsula. This funicular uses the system water balance, and it is currently the world oldest, in service, use this ecological system. The cabins have a water tank. It will be fulled when you are at the top level and empty at the bottom. The difference in weight allows the obtained displacement; the amount of water is calculated depending on the number of passengers. The descent of the mount will be made on foot.
Then, we have one hands-on cooking class in Braga (lunch – Portuguese Cuisine. You will cook the main dish and dessert).
In the afternoon we visit Guimarães. A historic town, exceptionally well-preserved, and an authentic example of the evolution of a medieval settlement into a modern city. (Guimarães’ Castel – ticket is included).
Dinner is not included — overnight in Braga.
Walking Tour in Sistelo – Arcos de Valdevez
Meeting point at the hotel lobby – 09h00 am. Sistelo won this title in 2017, in the category of Rural Villages, standing out for its endless agricultural terraces. That is the reason Sistelo also called “Little Tibet.” These have created a peculiar landscape and example of human resilience in adapting to the environment.
This tour will pass through mountain areas, rural areas, and remarkable villages in the history of Portugal. With about three hundred inhabitants. Everything and everyone in Sistelo sounds like the good old days. The fountain is in the center of the square, marks the ending point. And, the details of the houses invite us to curiosity. Iron staircases, stone steps, sheer white draperies, and half-open wooden doors are typical of a village where peace reigns (Portugal Hiking Trails).
It includes a guided walking tour in the Vez Ecovia. An incredible path, where we will admire wooden walkways, Roman road, green mountains, crystal-clear lagoons, native flora, and fauna.
Difficulty: Easy / Moderate. Distance: 9km – 5.50 miles. Lunch and dinner are not included. Overnight in Braga. Duration: 1/2 day. Overnight in Braga.
Walking Tour in Póvoa De Varzim (Portuguese Way Of Santiago)
Meeting point at the hotel lobby – 09h00 am. On the last day of the trip, we have a beautiful walk on the beach. Follow your local guide the boardwalks alongside sandy beaches and between dunes and windmills. The walking level is a lesser degree of difficulty. This walk will serve to appreciate the landscape. Learn the fisher community of Póvoa de Varzim and smell the sea air (Portugal Hiking Trails).
Along the walk, you will see small groups doing the Portuguese Camino Coastal Way. This trail is the most popular walking tour of the Portuguese Way of Saint James. Perfect for those looking to capture the essence of the Camino! It is a nice walk, good food, and wine discovering local customs. Meeting fellow pilgrims and enjoying the unique atmosphere of it all.
Suggestion for you lunchtime: grilled fish or shrimp salad with Vinho Verde (Verde means “green” – or more accurately “young” – wine).
Duration: 1/2 day. Lunch and dinner are not included — overnight in Braga.
Transfer to the airport — end of Walking in Portugal. There are no activities planned for this day. Lunch and dinner are not included.
Suggestion: Book extra night in Braga and Post-tour extension – Coimbra & Aveiro – Full day.
- Room twin standard: it has two single beds. For an upgrade, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Some changes may occur in our itineraries due to inclement weather and common seasonal changes to timetables and transport routes.
- We reserve the right to change hotels based on availability and pricing.
- What to expect? This trip has an activity rating of easy. Travelers should be prepared for multiple hours of activity each day. Hikes range from 3 hours (3 to 6 miles) mostly on level trails but with some steeper grades. Our tour is suitable for beginners and all ages.
What to bring
- You should bring hiking boots or tennis shoes, a camera, and a small bottle of water. When it’s hot out, we recommend an application of sunscreen on exposed parts of the body and a pair of sunglasses. During the cooler seasons, it’s important to wear and an extra layer of clothing. Don’t forget your hiking boots.
- Traditional Portuguese cuisine is not suitable for vegans or vegetarians. We can accommodate dietary needs, such as food allergies.