There is no better way to get to the heart of a city or its people than by taking a walking food tour. Join this food tour to spend a day getting to know Braga.
Braga Walking Tour & Private Transfer to Bom Jesus (by car)
Braga is the oldest Portuguese city and one of the oldest Christian cities in the world. It was founded in Roman times as Bracara Augusta, and it has over 2,000 years of history as a city.
Braga is one of the great day trips from Porto. It is located in northern Portugal, 54 minutes by train from Porto. That is the best public transport to arrive in Braga, Portugal. It is cheap, clean, and ecological. The train station is 5 minutes walking from the meeting point.
Your guide will be waiting for you at Arco da Porta, one of the medieval wall gates.
Braga had a crucial role in Portuguese history. Nowadays, the city has a resident population of 192,494 inhabitants, representing the seventh-largest district in Portugal. It is the third-largest urban center in Portugal, after Lisbon and Porto. And it has retained its importance over the years.
It is mostly known for its devotion to tradition and religion. Braga is also one of the oldest Christian cities in the world, dating back to the Roman Empire.
Though the Romans ruled it, the town was founded by the Celts in 300 BC. There are ancient buildings and churches around every corner! You will visit Portugal’s oldest cathedral, a Sé de Braga.
Even though Braga is a very traditional city, it is also full of life and young people. It also offers opportunities for recreation and a culture unique in the country. Braga has fantastic nightlife, cinemas, theaters, exhibitions, museums, and art galleries.
Braga is home to one of the largest universities in Portugal – Universidade do Minho. It has over 20,000 students and is Portugal’s tech start-up hotbed. The city was even named the European Youth Capital in 2012.
- Meet your local guide at Arco da Porta Nova and learn more about this historical city.
- Get to know the secret streets of Braga during a half-day city walk Tour.
- Visit the first cathedral in Portugal.
- Be stupefy by the colorful Saint Barbara Gardens and Avenida da Liberdade.
- Photograph the blue tiles at Raio Palace.
- Use the incredible hydraulic funicular to visit the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus. It is included private transfer from the city to the funicular (From the downtown to Bom Jesus is 5 km or 3.10 miles).
- Explore the incredible Bom Jesus do Monte. We will spend a few hours in its park and take some photos in the lake area.
Is this tour right for you?
- Level: Easy. We built this service to adapt to a group with different walking experiences.
- Trip Type: Guided.
- Language spoke: English.
- Small-Group Tour. Minimum of 1 person. Maximum of 3 people.
- For a private tour day in Braga, please get in touch with us. Attention: we don’t increase the price. We need to check our availability for Tour Braga.
- Meeting Point: Arco da Porta Nova.
- End Point: Arco da Porta Nova. Enjoy your afternoon at a traditional Portuguese restaurant and shop till you drop in Braga city center.
- Changes & Cancelations: Please read our Terms and Conditions.
- Recommended for: 50-plus, couples, Portugal single tours, family vacation, and youth.
- Travel Styles: Cultural, Historical, Religious Sites, Group, Full-Guided, and Walking Tour.
Guarantee your place for Braga city walk by reserving your space now.
- Transfers to Bom Jesus do Monte Shrine (by car)
- Guide throughout the tour (English-speaking)
- Cathedral entrance ticket
- Travel insurance
- Drinks and meals not specified
- Entrances other than mentioned
- Telephone and personal expenses
Meeting point: near the “Arco da Porta Nova” – 10h00 a.m. Which also marks the memory of one of the entrances in the old medieval wall.
Visit the Cathedral of Braga (ticket is included). According to tradition, the Braga diocese was established in the third century, but history only confirms 900 years.
Leaving the cathedral, go to see Igreja da Misericórdia. Then, stop by the Garden of Saint Barbara (Jardins de Santa Bárbara), Avenida Central, Arcada, and Avenida da Liberdade, and Braga Market (It is open from Monday to Saturday).
Finally, the private transfer to the marvelous Sanctuary of Bom Jesus. Local magnificent, combining the work of Nature and Man. The Bom Jesus do Monte Shrine is located on top of Mount Espinho, surrounded by a splendid forest. And it was declared World Heritage by UNESCO on July 07th, 2019.
It’s time to climb to Bom Jesus de Braga in the oldest elevator (funicular) in the world, moved by water. Inaugurated on March 25th, 1882, and it’s a masterpiece of Portuguese engineering. Once at the top, we can admire the Baroque-style sanctuary “Bom Jesus” and contemplate in the valley below Braga’s old city.
01h00 p.m. – We will finish the tour at the meeting point.
- Braga Tour. Minimum: 1 person. Maximum: 3 persons.
- You should bring with you a camera, comfortable walking shoes (please don’t wear slippers or high heel shoes) and a small bottle of water. When it’s hot out, we recommend applying sunscreen on exposed parts of the body and a pair of sunglasses. During the colder seasons, it’s essential to wear and an extra layer of clothing. Finally, don’t forget your footwear.
- Please note that while we operate successful trips in this region throughout the year, some changes may occur in our itineraries due to inclement weather and frequent seasonal changes to timetables and transport routes.