There is no better way to get to the heart of a city or its people than by taking a walking food tour. Join this food tour to spend a day getting to know Braga.
- €18 €16.20
Discover Braga on a walking tour
Braga is the oldest Portuguese city and one of the oldest Christian cities in the world. It was founded in Roman times as Bracara Augusta and has over 2,000 years of history as a city. It is located in northern Portugal, 54 minutes by train from Porto.
Braga had a crucial role in Portuguese history. Nowadays, the city has a resident population of 192,494 inhabitants, representing the seventh-largest municipality in Portugal. It is the third-largest urban center in Portugal, after Lisbon and Porto, and it has retained its importance over the years.
It is mostly known for its devotion to tradition and religion. Braga is also one of the oldest Christian cities in the world, dating back to the Roman Empire. Though the Romans ruled it, the town was founded by the Celts in 300 BC. There are ancient buildings and churches around every corner! You will visit Portugal’s oldest cathedral, a Sé de Braga.
Even though Braga is a very traditional city, it is also full of life and young people. It also offers opportunities for recreation and culture unique in the country, with its nightlife, cinemas, theater, exhibitions, museums, and art galleries.
Braga is home to one of the largest universities in Portugal, the University of Minho, with over 20,000 students, and is Portugal’s tech start-up hotbed. The city was even named the European Youth Capital in 2012.
- Transfers to Bom Jesus do Monte Shrine (by car)
- Guide throughout the tour
- Travel insurance
- Drinks and meals not specified
- Entrances other than mentioned
- Telephone and personal expenses
Meeting point: near the “Arco da Porta Nova” – 10h00 a.m. Which also marks the memory of one of the entrances in the old medieval wall.
Visit the Cathedral of Braga (included the ticket). According to tradition, the Braga diocese was established in the third century, but history only confirms from the year 900.
Leaving the cathedral, go to see Igreja da Misericórdia. Then, stop by the Garden of Santa Bárbara (Jardins de Santa Bárbara), Avenida Central, Arcada, and Avenida da Liberdade.
Finally, the private transfer to the marvelous Sanctuary of Bom Jesus. Local magnificent, combining the work of Nature and Man. The Bom Jesus do Monte Shrine is located on top of Mount Espinho, surrounded by a splendid forest. And, it was declared World Heritage by the UNESCO on July 07, 2019.
It’s time to climb to Bom Jesus de Braga in the oldest elevator (funicular) in the world moved by water. Inaugurated on March 25th, 1882, and it’s a masterpiece of Portuguese engineering. Once at the top, we can admire the Baroque style sanctuary “Bom Jesus” and contemplate in the valley below the old city of Braga.
01h00 p.m. – We will finish the tour at the meeting point.
- Braga Tour. Minimum number: 1 person. Maximum number: 4 persons.
- You should bring with you a camera, comfortable walking shoes (please don’t use slippers or high heel shoes) and a small bottle of water. When it’s hot out, we recommend an application of sunscreen on exposed parts of the body and a pair of sunglasses. During the cooler seasons, it’s important to wear and an extra layer of clothing. Don’t forget your footwear.
- Please note that while we operate successful trips in this region throughout the year, some changes may occur in our itineraries due to inclement weather and common seasonal changes to timetables and transport routes.