48 Hours In Lisbon
An expert guide to 48 Hours in Lisbon
A modern and historic city with great weather and all for good value: it’s no wonder Lisbon is a popular tourist destination.
We have some tours that start in Lisbon and finish in Porto. However, that isn’t easy to visit everything in just one morning. So if you book one extra night in Lisbon, this free e-book is for you! You have here 13 things to do and see in 48 hours in the capital of Portugal.
Here we present a selection of items from amongst all you can do, which can’t be missed in the Portuguese capital. And, these suggestions are not included in our tours.
Discover this beautiful city, set across seven hills, from the older Bairro Alto and atmospheric winding streets of the Alfama to the beautiful Saint George Castle.
Experience the Best of Lisbon. You must ride the iconic Canary-yellow trams, listen to Fado’s traditional sound, and taste Belem’s famous custard tarts.
Is Lisbon expensive to visit?
No, Lisbon is one of the cheapest capital cities in Europe to visit. Read our post: Budget Travel Portugal.
What is the best month to visit Lisbon?
The best time to visit Lisbon is from March to May or October to November because the weather is still warm, and there are fewer crowds than in summer (June to August). In those seasons, you might also be able to squeeze in a few beach days.
Where are the nicest beaches around Lisbon?
How do you get to Sintra from Lisbon?
It is possible to get the train from Lisbon to Sintra. The direct rail services run from Rossio Station to Sintra Station. If you’d like to visit Pena Palace, you need to take a bus from Sintra Station. To avoid long queues book our private tour.
What is the best restaurant for traditional cuisine in Lisbon?
Read our post: Best Restaurants.
Where can I see fado in Lisbon?
Where to eat the best egg custard tarts in Lisbon?
Manteigaria, Pastelaria Santo António and Nata Lisboa. Please read here our post about Portuguese Custard Tarts and its secret recipe.
Where to drink Ginjinha in Lisbon
Ginja is a sweet cherry liqueur. Please read here where you can buy the best Ginjinha.
Can you drink the tap water in Lisbon?
Yes, of course. Read our post: practical travel tips Portugal.
Where can I watch the sunset in Lisbon?
The best places in Lisbon to see the sunset:
- Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântra
- Miradouro da Senhora do Monte
- Miradouro de Santa Catarina
- Cais das Colunas, in Praça do Comércio
- Parque Eduardo VII
- Miradouro Portas do Sol
- Saint George Castle
Which trams do you recommend using in Lisbon?
How do I get from Lisbon to Braga?
- By Train. Duration: 3 hours 30 minutes. There is a high-speed train from Lisbon to Braga. Alfa Pendular train also stops in Coimbra and Porto.
- By Car. Duration: 4 hours. Please contact us for a private transfer.
- By Bus. Duration: 5 hours.
Read here: Porto Walking Tour.
Things To Do in Lisbon, Portugal
Check out our Day Trips from Lisbon. Best walking tours in Lisbon:
Private Tours from Lisbon
Take a private Lisbon tour with a local driver motivated to share the best of this European capital with you. You can choose your tour departure from Lisbon. Guaranteed Departure. It is perfect for Solo Travel in Portugal.
Private Driver Lisbon, Sintra, Estoril, and Cascais
Only 30 min from Lisbon. Sintra is one of the most romantic cities in the World. Famous for its Royal Palaces and Castle, and considered Unesco World Heritage since 1995.
By the way, don’t forget to visit the Pena Palace. Sintra’s most famous sight is the Pena Palace’s multi-colored façade, a notable example of Portuguese architecture in the Romantic period. After snapping your pictures, head into town to shop for everything from art, souvenirs, cork bags, local produce, and handmade ceramics.
After lunch, we will drive along the Atlantic coast. We can stop at Guincho Beach (a surfer’s paradise), or Boca do Inferno (Hell mouth cliff). Finally, enjoy a walk along the bay in the charming town of Cascais. Then, our driver will continue along the coast to Lisbon, passing by Estoril and the casino.
On this full-day private tour, we will combine walking and driving and visiting Lisbon’s best areas. We can start the trip to Belem, famous for the Belem Tower, the Discovery Monument, and the Jeronimos Monastery. Don’t forget to stop at Pastel de Belem and taste the most famous pastéis de Nata. Then, the tour will go on to Lisbon downtown, and we will finish in front of your hotel.
Private Tours from Lisbon to Fatima, Obidos, and Nazare
This tour visits the revered sanctuary of Fatima. The medieval village of Obidos and the seaside resort of Nazare for a look at some spectacular sights.
You will meet your driver and set out from your hotel in Lisbon. A drive along the coast brings you to Fatima. You can visit the basilica and revered monuments that make up the famous Sanctuary of Our Lady.
Afterward, pay a visit to Nazare’s fishing village before you stop for lunch by the sea.
In the afternoon, visit the famous village of Obidos. A peaceful community known for its well-preserved medieval streets, walls, and 14th-century keep. Book online a day tour to Fatima from Lisbon.
Small-Group Tours in Lisbon
These packages start in Lisbon and finish in Porto. These Vacation Packages from Lisbon are Guaranteed Departure Date with two travelers.
Self-Guided Tours Portugal – 5 Days
Create your travel bubble and explore Portugal by yourself!
Booking dates are flexible, a luxury service available most of the year.
- Explore the seven hills of Lisbon.
- Visit Porto and the UNESCO Douro wine region.
- Discover the country’s oldest university and its famous library in Coimbra.
- Enjoy a private cruise tour along Tagus River in Lisbon from Alfama to Belém (Post-tour Extension – Lisbon sailing tour on the Tagus River).
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary in Portugal to your preferences.
7-Day in Portugal – Lisbon and Porto Package
- Small-Group Tour. The groups are limited to 8 passengers.
- Six nights in a twin room.
- Breakfast is included every morning in all multi-day tour packages.
- Enjoy private guides in Lisbon.
- Tasting of the famous ‘pastéis de Belém’.
- Explore Porto and the Douro Valley with a private guide.
- Douro River cruise (1h approx.).
- Full day in the Douro Valley with lunch and Port Wine tasting.
- Fatima: Join the faithful at one of the world’s holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of Apparitions.
- With a private guide, visit the coastal gems of Portugal, including Sintra.
- Private transfers during the tours.
- Guide during the tours.
Book Extra Night and enjoy a private cruise tour along the River Tagus in Lisbon from Alfama to Belém (Post-tour Extension).
Portugal Food Tours – From Lisbon to Porto
From typical dishes, unusual desserts, and tasty street eats, we’ll bring you on a deep culinary adventure to savor and represent the best food and wines in Portugal. Plus, you’ll not only experience great dishes and drinks. Throughout the trip, you’ll see amazing sights and top attractions, as well!
- Small group size from just 02 to 10 travelers.
- Genuinely inclusive, no additional tour costs.
- 12 Meals: 7 Buffet Breakfasts, 2 Lunches, 2 Dinners, and 1 Food Tasting.
- Taste the authentic Portuguese custard tarts in Pastéis de Belém.
- Explore the striking monuments and Praça do Comercio in Lisbon.
- See the Monument to the Discoveries and Belem Tower in Lisbon.
- Explore with our local guide, the Pena Palace in Sintra.
- Visit a winery and taste in Vinho Verde DOC wine country.
- Enjoy a Port Wine tasting at an acclaimed cellar in Porto.
- Guided Historical Porto Walking Tour and food tasting (olive oil, bread, wine, chorizo, ham, and cheese).
- Hands-On Cooking in Portugal. Your culinary holiday features classes and tastings to show you the wonders of Portuguese cuisine. All the classes and tastings will inspire you to take these traditions home with you.
- Wine is included with all lunches and dinners in the program.
- Special Hands-on Cooking Classes, Bread Making Experience.
How to get from Lisbon airport to City Centre?
Lisbon airport (Lisbon airport code – LIS) is around 20 minutes to downtown. The airport is well connected by public transport (underground, bus, and taxi). Read here: flights to Lisbon.
For private transfer from Lisbon Airport to Hotel, please tell us your plan.
If you book a one-week vacation in Portugal, our driver will be waiting for you at the airport arrivals with a sign displaying your name. The driver will be waiting for you inside the airport. After you pick up the luggage, you will pass a glass door. And then, you will see a lot of people and signs (papers). Your name will be on one sign. If you don’t see your name, please use WhatsApp. The airport has free Wi-Fi. Please contact us if your flight has been canceled. We can reschedule your transfer.
Travel Insurance: Despite being one of the safest ways to travel, accidents happen. Whether it’s a missed flight or route to your tour or sudden illness while in a foreign country, Travel Insurance is the way to protect yourself from unexpected expenses that arise from emergencies, it is by making sure you’re covered before you leave for your trip.