Plan Your Trip: Our Top Travel Tips for Algarve
Tips for Visiting the Algarve, Portugal
The first idea is that it is a destination for tourist who loves the sun and the beach. But the Algarve has different tourist attractions. For example, Faro is the perfect city for tourists who want to visit the historical building and explore local restaurants and nature. You can book a boat tour and explore the pristine beaches of the Deserta, Farol, and Culatra Islands. It is a unique experience through the canals of the Ria Formosa Natural Park.
How do you pronounce Algarve? What does Algarve mean?
This word comes from Arabic. It means the West.
Where is the Algarve?
It is located on the south coast of Portugal. The south is the Mediterranean Sea, the east is Spain, and the West is the Atlantic Ocean. For that reason, this region has more than a thousand beaches.
Read more: Weather in Portugal.
Beach Holiday Portugal Algarve
Are there sharks in the Algarve?
Yes, there are. Yet, these sharks hunt small fish. Portugal has no recorded shark attacks on the Portuguese beaches.
Are you looking for a warmer sea in the Algarve?
We recommend the beaches on the Mediterranean Sea. You will enjoy a swim in the warm sea of the beaches of Portugal.
The most beautiful beach in the Algarve is Praia Benagil.
How to Get to the Algarve, Portugal
The easiest way to get to the Algarve is by plane. Several European flag carrier airlines and low-cost airlines use Faro International Airport. It’s possible to fly into the Algarve airport from various European cities. The flight takes 45 minutes from Lisbon to Faro Airport.
Read more: How can I get to Portugal?
How far is Lisbon to Algarve, Portugal
You could also reach this region from Lisbon by car. The drive takes around 3 hours, and there are tolls along the way.
The best is the speed train Alfa Pendula, which connects Lisbon to Faro and stops in Albufeira and Loule. The journey takes 3 hours.
Best Things to Do in Algarve Region
- Go to Zoomarine and buy the experience of Dolphin Emotions. Under the supervision of a trainer, you spend 30 minutes in the water, where you are invited to meet the dolphins and swim with them! Zoomarine is a great place to learn more about environmental education and preservation on the south coast of Portugal. That is not only a park. This company helps the local community to preserve nature and animals in danger.
- Stay a few nights at Monte Rei Golf & Country Club. It is the best accommodation in this region for golf trips.
- Rent a boat and explore Ria Formosa Natural Park. You can take various boat trips from Faro, Tavira, and Olhão. This park has 60 kilometers of coastline crisscrossed by canals, swamps, and sandbanks.
- Visit Benagil Cave. There is a few boat trip to see the caves. Benagil Cave is the most famous because of the swirling rock formation, one of which has a sandy beach inside.
- Take surf lessons. The most popular is Arrifana beach, it is the best place to learn how to surf.
- Visit the Algarve International Circuit F1. Unfortunately, Portimao is outside the provisional F1 calendar for 2022.
- Take a hike on the beach. Sorry, but that isn’t easy to choose just one trail in this region. Forty percent of the Algarve’s total area has conservation status. This region enables excellent hiking across this region. The best suggestion is to choose a city and ask us for more information.
Read more: Best Things to Eat in Portugal?
Best Restaurants in Algarve – Michelin Star
- Vila Joya – Chef Dieter Koschina, Albufeira
- A Ver Tavira – Chef Luís Brito, Tavira
- Al Sud – Chef Louis Anjos, Lagos
- Vistas – Chef Rui Silvestre, Sesmarias
- Bon Bon – Chef José Lopes, Carvoeiro
- Gusto by Chef Heinz Beck, Almancil
- Vista – Chef João Oliveira, Portimão
How many golf courses are there in the Algarve?
Algarve is famous for its golf courses. There are 31 golf courses. Compared to other destinations, it is cheap! It costs 40€ to 92€. The golf season is from March to May. During this period, the temperature hovers around 21°c with a low possibility of rainfall.
Tailor-Made Tours in Portugal.
We’d love to help your group of friends plan your perfect trip to Algarve! Our travel advisors will ensure your holiday is fun and hassle-free.
- hotels & spas,
- private villas with swimming pools,
- beach resorts all inclusive,
- long-term rentals,
- golf holidays.
We customize your trip! Choose Portugal as your next destination! Click here for more information.