Portuguese Sangria Recipe
How to make Portuguese Sangria
Sangria is the best wine cocktail for a hot day. These particular recipes come from the chef Vasco, our hostess, during a Portugal Food Tours – cooking vacation. Our chef Vasco usually makes this drink for our travelers to quench their thirst!
Here in this photo, you can see Susan and Melissa (mother and daughter) drink an authentic Portuguese white sangria.
Get the recipe and make yourself this fantastic wine cocktail at home! Cheers! Saúde!
What is Sangria?
Under EU regulations, only Portugal and Spain can label their product as Sangria. A similar drink is a punch.
That is a cocktail with chopped fruit, wine (red or white), spices, and other spirits.
When is Sangria served?
It is perfect for enjoying a nice hot summer day outside. You can make sangria for a picnic or summer party.
How to order Sangria in Portugal?
- Um copo de sangria – a glass of Sangria.
- Um jarro de sangria – a pitcher of Sangria.
How is Sangria made?
Read here our easy recipe for Portuguese white sangria.
Portuguese White Sangria Ingredients:
Makes a pitcher of Sangria.
- 500 ml bottle of Portuguese White Wine (dry wine)
- 150 ml soda or sparkling water
- 2 glasses of white Port wine (shot glass – or another wine brandy)
- 2 glasses of any whisky (shot glass)
- 2 oranges (sliced)
- 1 lemon (sliced)
- 1 apple (sliced)
- 2 cups of ice cubes
- 1 orange chopped (fresh fruit)
- 1 bunch white grapes, cut in half without the pits
- 1 apple chopped
- 1 or 2 cinnamon stick
- Some sugar, to taste
- Mint leaves
- Add the ice, fruits, and sugar to the pitcher.
- Add the liquids to the pitcher.
- Mix it well with a spoon.
- Let it sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes to chill and the sangria to fully absorb the fruits’ flavors.
- Serve very cold!
From the Recipe Archives
We don’t know about you, but we’re eating and drinking our way through the pandemic. Here are some recipes to keep you going!
- Portuguese CornBread
- Caldo Verde
- Portuguese Custard Tarts
- Portuguese Fish Stew
- Portuguese Piri-Piri Chicken
Check out our culinary vacations in Portugal.
Enjoy sangria, as well as local Portuguese wines, during your cooking classes at Portugal Food Tours.
Sign up to receive our newsletter, including travel tips, recipes, discounts, and information on our best tours in Portugal.