Why should you do Hiking in Portugal on your next trip?
The North of Portugal is characterized by its beautiful natural areas, authentic villages, interminable beaches, winding rivers, and numerous vineyards. It is greener, rougher and quieter compared to the rest of Portugal. That is a wonderful region for a Hiking in Portugal.
Exploring the Douro Valley (North of Portugal) on foot allows you to truly immerse yourself on this amazing landscape. Long before any president, king or emperor, the Douro was inhabited by primitive peoples who were the first to leave their trace. We have rock paintings in Vale do Côa, Roman wineries in Vila Real and many of the Castros (fortified villages) in the region, date from this period.
Portugal started as a country in 1143 and the Douro Valley is a key part of Portuguese history. With its terraced vineyards and hilltop estates known as Quintas, the region is renowned for its wine production, in particular, the sweet wine known as Port.
The Douro landscape reflects its primitive and deep connection with the wine culture, creating an amazing picture of Man and Nature working side by side in search of the perfect wine.
This trip is escorted, you have a guide that will give you all the information about this region. Eco Trilha takes care of all your accommodation and luggage transfer so you can relax and enjoy your journey.
This itinerary is carefully designed. There is the basic level of fitness required and some uphill stretches in part. That is included the lunch or picnic after the hiking. However, given you only need carry a lightweight day bag and your water supply, and other essentials such as sun cream, sunglass, and hat. Please don’t forget your hiking boot!
Read here our suggestions: Hiking in Portugal
Hiking and Cooking Classes in Porto
Ancient trails through breath-taking mountain vistas and terraced farmland and pause for wine tastings at charming hillside Quintas (wineries), or wine estates.
- Small group tours: Hiking in Portugal. Maximum group size of 6 travelers. Personalize service!
- Guided Hiking in the uniquely beautiful Douro Valley, located in Northern Portugal. Douro Valley is a UNESCO World Heritage site and the first wine region demarcated in the world in 1756.
- Discover ancient wine cellars in the Douro Valley.
- 3 Hiking in Portugal.
- Enjoy a fascinating walk through Guimarães, the birthplace of Portugal and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Tasting the Portuguese Food. Small Group Cooking Class in Porto – Portugal.
- Book a cooking class with some of the best chefs in Portugal.
- Lunch or Dinner (the main course, dessert, and drink included).
Hiking in Portugal: 8 Days / 7 Nights – from 1199€ per person.
Optional Tours: Cooking Class in Porto 69€ per person.
Minimum number for this hiking in Portugal: Two travelers.
Dates for Hiking in Portugal:
- 15 May 2019 to 22 May 2019 – Guaranteed.
- 30 June 2019 to 07 July 2019 – Guaranteed.
- 17 July 2019 to 24 July 2019
- 21 August 2019 to 28 August 2019
- 26 September 2019 to 03 October 2019
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further information about hiking in Portugal.
Been asking yourself: What to pack for this trip? What should you prepare before you travel?
Follow these quick steps, and get a checklist, travel tips, information, and things to do before your Hiking in Portugal!
Do you only have one day to visit the Douro Valley? We have this tour:
Douro Valley Hike (Full day)
Join us and walk through the vineyards of the Douro. After a journey of about one and a half hour, the day starts at Samodães, with an excellent view over Douro River (River of Gold) and Régua town. It is time to start our descent until the river, going along the vineyards, olive and fig trees. We will finish in front of the hotel: Six Senses Douro Valley.
Our tour continues by car until we reach Régua town where we will have lunch (included). After lunch, it is time to go along some of the most beautiful paths of the region until Pinhão, where we will visit the train station, famous for its tiles. To finish the day we will visit a wine estate and taste the famous port wine.
An excellent way to know the magnificent scenery of the Douro River and UNESCO World Heritage-listed landscape.
Difficulty: Easy / Moderate. Distance (hike): 5 miles. Duration: 1 day.
That is included the transfer from your hotel in Porto.
- 04 May 2019
- 11 May 2019
- 19 May 2019 – Guaranteed. Last Places Remaining
- 09 Jun 2019
- 15 June 2019
- 30 June 2019
- 04 July 2019 – Guaranteed. Last Places Remaining
- 14 July 2019
- 21 July 2019
- 28 July 2019
- 25 August 2019
- 29 September 2019
- 12 October 2019
- 27 October 2019
- 10 November 2019
Or to sip Port wine on the Camino de Santiago.
Walking along the Way of St James, by the Portuguese Way of Saint James.
Soaking in the sun, listening to the Atlantic Ocean, walking by a historical trail from Porto towards the magical city of Santiago de Compostela! Santiago de Compostela translates to St. James of the Field of Stars.
Camino is a wide European network of pilgrimage paths and ends in Spain at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela (Saint James Cathedral).
This tours starts in Porto and you hike through the beautiful Douro valley surrounded by a beautiful landscape with green hills and vineyards. The Douro Valley is known for its Quintas. This is the place where the grapes from the famous Port Wine and Douro Wine (table wine) are grown.
LAST 100 KM OF CAMINO DE SANTIAGO.
13 Days – from 1999€ per person. The price is based on two people sharing a room. Minimum number: Two travelers.
- 26 September 2019 to 08 October 2019.
- Visiting the UNESCO world heritage town of Porto and the historic holy city of Santiago de Compostela.
- Walking some of the most scenic parts of a world-famous long distance footpath.
- Meandering through ancient villages fixed in time.
- Visit the Douro Valley wine region – a wine lover’s paradise, including a visit to a Port Wine farm.
- A guided walk along the best sections of the Portuguese Way from Porto and to walk into Santiago de Compostela.
- 3 Hiking in Portugal.
- Small Group touring. Tour groups are limited to 12 passengers.
- Luggage transfers. Luggage will be transported between hotels. Each pilgrim is limited to one large bag and a small carry-on bag.
- Pilgrims Passport.
Who prefers self-guided hiking, we have this package:
Self-Guided Camino de Santiago
The Camino in Portugal is less crowded than other routes in Spain. The route is very visibly marked with yellow arrows. You mostly walk through small villages. It’s a very green route which will go through many plantations and vineyards. The local people are very helpful and friendly along the way.
Pilgrim Walking to Santiago de Compostela. 13 Days – from 780€ per person. Minimum number: One traveler.
- Standard Accommodation (private room & private bathroom is guaranteed) and breakfasts.
- Luggage transfer from town to town (1 piece with 15kg).
- Pilgrim Passports.
- Route notes.
- 24 hours phone support.
- Private Transfer Santiago de Compostela – Porto.
- Private Transfer Oporto Airport – Hotel in Porto – Oporto Airport.
Millions have explored the Camino Trail, including famous people like Neil Morrissey, Stephen Hawking, and Shirley MacLaine. Each and everyone has had their own unique experience and inspiration from the Camino de Santiago.
Did you know?
- Queen Isabel of Portugal walked the Portuguese route in the 13th Century. It is the favorite of poet and novelist Paulo Coelho.
- 54% of Camino pilgrims walk for both religious and cultural reasons. 38% walk for religious reasons.
- Nearly 10% of pilgrims are from the USA. Nearly 50% are between the ages of 30 to 60.
- The impressive cultural landscape of the Douro, the first wine region demarcated in the world in 1756 and also considered a World Heritage Site in 2001. The Douro River means the River of Gold.
- The best time for hiking in Portugal is spring and autumn. The best months are May, June, July, September, and October).
The weather here is really fantastic! It is not too hot in summer and generally mild in winter. In summer, it is about 30. º C and in winter near 15. º C. With perfect temperatures almost all year round and warm sun and sea breezes, Portugal is a wonderful destination for enjoying great beaches.
Hiking in the Azores
- Small Group Tours Portugal. Maximum group size of 12 travelers;
- Guide tours: an experienced local English-speaking guide will travel with the group, leading the way and sharing his/her knowledge of local culture;
- Furnas, Terra Nostra Park, and Tea Factory;
- Sete Cidades e Lagoa do Fogo;
- Guided Hiking tour in the uniquely beautiful São Miguel island;
- Tasting the local food (3 lunches).
From: 599€ per person, 4 days. Dates: On Request.
Would You Like to Receive our Newsletter?